Social policies influence the lives of us all, directly or indirectly. As a social worker, you are in the unique position to advocate for those who are marginalized or considered an at-risk population. Social workers influence and assist in the development of policy. We also work to change policy when it has a negative impact on the populations we serve.
In this assignment, you will see how practice and policy come together in a case study involving a social worker employed at a Child Protective Services (CPS) agency. You will explore the many ways policy affects clientsâ€™ well-being and life chances.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Assess how social welfare and economic policies impact the delivery of and access to social services. (PO 5)
- Analyze policies with regard to advancement of human rights and social, economic, and environmental justice. (PO 5, ILO 5)
- Apply principles of social, economic, and environmental justice to advocate for human rights. (PO 3)
- Demonstrate character, scholarship, and leadership in becoming a world changer through application to personal life and professional social work practice.
- Evaluate how social welfare and economic policies either promote or hinder social change, especially with regard to providing equal access.
- Demonstrate Christ-like attitudes, values, worldviews, and ethical and professional behavior within advanced clinical practice. (ILO 1)
- Media: Case Study: Social Welfare Policy and Practice, Part 1
In this assignment, you will engage in a realistic, immersive e-learning scenario that reinforces lessons and concepts from the course. The scenario is an unfolding case study that analyzes how policy and social work practice intersect on a daily basis. The case study will continue to unfold in Workshop Five. Engaging in the interactive scenario activities will help you connect what you are learning about theories to real-life social work situations you may encounter in your future career as a social worker. In your assignment, you will analyze the social workerâ€™s actions and provide specific examples from the scenario to support your answers.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Watch the media, â€œCase Study: Social Welfare Policy and Practice, Part 1,â€ and complete the interactive activities.
- Respond to the following prompts:
- What types of oppression or injustice did Rosa face at the local, state and/or federal level?
- How did Dawn advocate for her client and what might you have done differently in her place?
- At each level how should the social advocacy occur (micro, mezzo and macro)? Please explain.
- How may Dawn continue to involve workers from the other agencies to assist in advocating for change? How might these choices benefit the client?
- Why is research an important part of social work advocacy?
- In your state, can clients access mental health or other treatment that is not government based?
- As a social worker, how can you empower clients like Rosa to look for resources in their community?
- As a social worker, how can you advocate for more localized services if they are not available?
- Before finalizing your work, ensure that you:
- Have followed the assignment instructions carefully.
- Use the computerâ€™s spelling and grammar check.
- Use APA format for organization, style, and source credits, including:
- 12-point, double-spaced Times New Roman font
- One-inch margins on all sides
- Normal character spacing
- In-text citations
- Title page and reference page (may not have reference page as it is not required to list Bible in references)
- Properly formatted headings