- Below are two versions of a paragraph from Kasser (2006). Read the paragraphs thoroughly. Then, compare the paragraphs to what you learned in your required reading assignment for this week. Make sure to go back to the original source and compare it to the paragraphs below. Then answer the following questions:
- Which paragraph correctly incorporates a quote from the original source, and which would qualify as an example of plagiarism?
- How do you know?
Make sure to support your response with references to the APA manual and the plagiarism tutorial.
We, as a society, are short on time. This leads us to pursue material things and lead hectic, overscheduled lives that do not allow us to pursue things of intrinsic value. We need time to connect with our family and friends. However, as Kasser (2006) says, â€œtime is increasingly too scarce of a resource for such activitiesâ€ (p. 210). In other words, we should find more time to make meaningful connections with others if we want to lead purposeful lives.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
While many of us enjoy watching television as a way to relax, according to research from Hammermeister, Brock, Winterstein, and Page (2005), people who do not own a television have a better quality of life. Hammermeister et al. found that children in families that do not have a television are less likely to â€œnag their parents about getting products and toysâ€ (as cited in Kasser, 2006, p. 206). These families spend more time together playing games and talking with each other (Kasser, 2006). They are able to create healthy connections among family members.
- These four references all contain formatting mistakes. These could be mistakes with punctuation, capitalization, name or title formats, and more. Analyze the various formatting aspects discussed in Ch. 6 of the APA manual, and identify and correct each of the mistakes. For each reference:
- List each mistake along with the section number in Ch. 6 that discusses that mistake.
- Provide a corrected reference.
- Lynn, M., & Dixson, Adrienne D. (2013). Handbook of critical race theory in education. New York: Routledge.
- A. Gresson. (1997) Identity, Class, and Teacher Education: The Persistence of â€œClass Effectsâ€ in the Classroom. Review of Education, Pedagogy, and Cultural Studies, 19(4), 335-348.
- Zeichner, Ken, Payne, Katherina A., and Brayko, Kate. (2015). Democratizing Teacher Education. Journal of Teacher Education, 66(2), 122-135.
- Stein, L, & Stein, A. (2016). Re-thinking america’s teacher education programs. Clearing house: A journal of educational strategies, issues and ideas, 89(6), 191-196.
Kasser, T. (2006). Materialism and is alternatives. In M. Csikszentmihalyi & I. Csikszentmihalyi (Eds.), A life worth living: Contributions to positive psychology (pp. 200 â€“ 214). New York, NY: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://cupdx.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://search….
These resources are provided to enhance your overall learning experience. For a deeper understanding of the weekly concepts, review these optional resources.
- APA Tutorial 1: Formatting a Paper in APA Style (Read, 2014) [Video] [Closed captioned]
- APA Tutorial 2: Article References (Morasch, 2014) [Video] [Closed captioned]
- APA Tutorial 3: Book References (Morasch, 2014) [Video] [Closed captioned]
- APA Tutorial 4: In-text Citations (Morasch, 2014) [Video] [Closed captioned]
- APA Tutorial 5: Web Document References (Morasch, 2014) [Video] [Closed captioned]
- Plagiarism Resource Guide (Concordia University Libraries, 2018) [Website]